Every 20 seconds. That’s how often a burglary happens in the U.S. Here are nine tips to keep your home safe!
- Landscape with security in mind and clear away overgrown areas could provide thieves with hiding spots.
- Stay in touch with your local police department for suggestions for security, and provide information on any recent break-ins in your area.
- Know your neighbors and work together to keep an eye out for suspicious activities on your street.
- Add lighting such as motion-sensitive fixtures outdoors and automatic timers or smart light bulbs indoors to make it seem you are home when you’re away.
- Don’t leave delivery boxes in plain sight, so either conceal your delivered box or consider having packages delivered elsewhere or requiring a signature for delivery.
- Set a Safety routine that includes locking all doors and windows and arming your alarm system every time you leave the house. Also, don’t keep spare keys in apparent spots outside, such as under mats or planters.
- Manage visibility by ensuring you can see who is at the front door without opening it and by placing valuables in the home where they can’t be seen from the street.
- Protect your outdoor valuables and consider securing your grill, lawnmower, bicycles, outdoor gear, and outdoor structures such as sheds and garages.
- Create a plan for when you’re away by holding your mail, stopping your newspaper, and having someone remove flyers. Also, arrange for lawn mowing or snow removal, so it’s not obvious you’re away.
Don’t wait until it is too late to protect your home after a claim.
Information provided by Jennifer Hart & Travelers Insurance: